Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Homecoming, Tolo, Prom, OH MY!

 

Kelley and Emily are hosting this hilariously fun bloghop! The point behind this, I believe, was spurred by a debate about high school and if you'd go back and live through it again.

My choice: Heck no! Although there were plenty of good times, lots of growing up, and I'm still close with friends from high school (actually since elementary school), there's just too much stress and drama that I would never willingly repeat.

But scanning these pictures was hilarious! The hair--perms and mullets! The shoes--velvet pumps and boots! The nylons--do people even wear nylons anymore?! Anyhow, I hope you get a chuckle out of these cause I sure did :)





Freshman year Homecoming--first dance, first heels, first strapless dress. Wow, was that ever nerve wracking!








Freshman year Tolo--Phil ended up being a groomsmen in my wedding. My husband went to this dance with another girl (no biggie, like I've said before, I didn't like-like my husband in high school) and we all met up for pizza and to play whirlyball (think bumper cars meet la crosse--yeah it's crazy).







Freshman year Prom--fell asleep in the limo on the ride home, great date huh? I couldn't help it, we had a track meet in 90+ degree weather on the other side of the state that day, having to bust our butts to get home and attempt to look decent enough for my first ever Prom. I'm sure it wasn't how Jeff imagined it would go.



Sophomore year Homecoming, Tolo (can't find the pic), Prom--Ahhh, my first high school boyfriend, our first dance together made it "official". And I swear I am not an amazon woman :)





Junior year Homecoming, Tolo, Prom--I like the sitting down one, I don't look so humongous :) I was in a car wreck a few weeks before Homecoming this year. I broke the rear passenger window out with my head, not a pretty picture. Anyhow, I remember it being a big deal (what high school girl wouldn't think it was a big deal to get her face all jacked up just before Homecoming?) cause people were gossiping a ton about it and then having to get pictures taken, blah blah blah--the insecurities of high school, another reason to never go back.



Senior year Homecoming, Tolo, Prom--Yay, another sitting down picture! I dated the same dude for three years. We were a Ross and Rachel by this year, not even together by the time Prom rolled around so I'm not entirely sure why we went... I vow to convince my daughter not to date the same guy for all (most, too much) of high school. I know it's not the best motherly advice to tell a teenage girl to date lots of different guys, but spending all that time with the same one seems like a waste to me now. That part--for sure--I would not repeat.



Another Senior year Prom, different school--I worked with Mark at McDonalds and another guy from his school asked another girl from my school (both of them also worked at McDonalds) to the dance--just as friends, but the guys went all out and it was fun :)



So there's a snippet of my high school experience through dances. Hmmm... now wondering how much of this I should go back and delete cause I'm not painting a very nice picture of myself... there's probably a lesson in there somewhere... oh well. It is what it is and I am who I am, probably one of the most valuable lessons I finally learned by the end of high school ;)

Would you go back to high school again?


52 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! You must have a bunch of great memories from all these dances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the memories are of getting the dress and then of the dinner with my date, the dance part not so much. I guess it's about the experience, right? :)

      Delete
  2. Great pictures. The cheesy backgrounds are so much fun. Ours just usually had balloons in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fake plants put the pictures over the top :)

      Delete
  3. i know why that gent asked you to go to that extra prom with him (to impress his buddies!)
    such a pretty thing you are!
    i went to one prom, but i hated it terribly... i don't do well in formal situations.
    but we had a lot of casual dances at my first high school, which i really enjoyed.
    i would NOT go back to high school- either one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I loved getting the dress and getting fancy, but the dances themselves were pretty nerve wracking. Walking around in those things and looking enjoying yourself is not easy ;)

      Delete
  4. I would definitely not go back to high school again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, living through it once was enough for me too :)

      Delete
  5. I love your poofy hair! These pictures are seriously priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could make it pretty big back then! The perms sure helped :)

      Delete
  6. Those are A LOT of dances you went to. You look great in all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the pics. I too did a bunch of dances. The Tolo dances looked fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Tolo ones were the best ones, way more casual and we did things you can't do in fancy dresses :)

      Delete
  8. Holy crap all those pics! You looked great and I love those pants your freshman year lol so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they hilarious! I was hoping someone noticed the tapered jeans, too funny!

      Delete
  9. Not fair! You look beautiful in all of your pics. Not a bad one in the bunch!

    I've never heard of a Tolo before...what is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaycee :) Tolo is when the girl asks the guy and you wear matching outfits. They were fun!

      Delete
    2. Okay, so it's kind of like a Sadies Hawkins dance, right?

      Delete
    3. K, I've seen pics of an informal Sadie Hawkin's now so Tolo is exactly like that :)

      Delete
  10. I can't believe you have all those pics! haha! I went to two dances in HS. I think I preferred playing video games with the BF

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so darn cute. No wonder you went to so many dances!

    I loved HS. I thought it was a blast (though a little too much drama.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) So much drama, but there certainly were a lot of fun times in between!

      Delete
  12. What is it with sit down pics? They should be banned! I'd never go back to high school either. Been there, done that. Leave it in the past! (Unless you join an awesome blog hop and have to dish about it and share your embarrassing photos, of course.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriend was a shrimp, so at least I don't look like I could carry him around when I'm sitting down :)

      I'm Team Emily (no going back to high school) on this one! Super fun and funny bloghop, thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  13. I vote you Miss Popular! Did you go to EVERY dance? I love it. You look so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a Winter Formal one year that our school tried out and then didn't repeat, I didn't go to that one. And I went to nine of the dances with the same guy, so those don't really count too much either :)

      Delete
  14. We had something like Tolo, but we called it Turnabout. Honestly...I never went to one. Prom was only for Juniors and Seniors. I went as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior. Didn't do prom senior year, but we'd moved, I didn't know anyone, and didn't care to go. Heartbroken, and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving in high school must have sucked! Can't have high school without heart break :(

      Delete
  15. OMG. The hair of the guys. MULLETS!! The shirts on some of them. And you really did pick short guys didn't you? Thank you for giving be the best laugh so far. HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same short guy over and over ;P The rest may have looked shorter cause I'm probably about 5'7" in heels :) Glad they were funny to more than just me!

      Delete
  16. So many dances! Good for you. I missed out on a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to one high school dance is a must :) All of them, probably not so much, except getting the dresses was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  17. Nice jeans Hope ;)

    But seriously you like amazing in every single picture. Such a photogenic lady you are :)

    Coming from the girl who's longest relationship as been less than two months, three years sounds like FOREVER :) haha. I can see why you would give that advice to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aren't those jeans so cute? I'm glad they didn't have zippers on the sides :)

    I'm obviously not a proponent of high school sweethearts, even though there are plenty of success stories out there, did NOT work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! My school didn't offer half as many dances! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG, so funny! I can't believe how many dances you went to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of dresses for my daughter to play in ;)

      Delete
  21. Wow you went to a lot of dances! My friends had to basically drag me to prom because I really had no desire to go. Now looking back I wish I would have gone to a few more. If anything for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your dress in the last photo. You look so pretty, too!

    Would I ever go back - never.

    ReplyDelete
  23. YEah, that is a LOT of dances. We really only had one a year, from my memory, and even then not every year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh girl! The stories! And I think you look amazing after both an across state track meet and after the wreck! Nobody else could pull that off. But I agree... the high school drama doesn't help. I would totally go back though. I loved it! Crazy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  25. High School---Worst time of my life, but at the same time gave me the best thing in my life, my son :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, that's a lot of school dances. They look like fun though! I actually never went to one, so I'm a little amazed at the quantity haha.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my! What a lot of photos, they're awesome!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Firstly, that car accident sounds horrible! I'm glad you're alive!

    Secondly, I dated the same guy all through high school, and into my first year of college. I don't exactly think it was a waste of time, but years later I found out some of the guys I'd had mild crushes on crushed back...so I missed out on other experiences.

    Would I do it again? No. No way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, you rocked the pictures! Actually, these reminded me of my husband's prom and homecoming and Tolo pictures. We all must have gone to high school in the same era. :)

    I would not want to redo high school. I had a few good friends, but it was more emotionally painful than fun. I'm very happy to be an adult! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. We must be the same age, as I sported a similar haircut to a lot of your dates!

    What was up with wearing the cardigan back in the day? What were we thinking???

    You looked so cute!

    ReplyDelete