Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Around the World in 26 Letters--Italy




My husband claims he's one hundred percent Italian. His grandma was born there and is pure Italian. But his grandpa is 100 % Swedish, so that makes Harlan's mom 50 % Italian, making Harlan only 1/4 Italian Stallion :) Although to look at him with his dark hair and skin that tans in two seconds, he does look full Italian (minus the bright blue eyes) and most people believe his claim. So, one day we'll need to go to Italy to find out how Italian he looks next to a bunch of full blooded Italians :)

Now on to the real post :)

There are so many places to go and things to do in Italy! I knew of a few before creating this post, but found a ton more! And looking at the map above, I've left off quite a few. Here are the things I would definitely need to see:


Tuscan countryside

 
Colosseum--Gladiators, unite!


Trevi Fountain


The Vatican


Venice--The Grand Canal on a gondola


Leaning Tower of Pisa (maybe get one of those cool forced perspective pictures)

File:Assisi-skyline.jpg
Assisi


Pompeii

Cinque Terra-I've heard this is the ultimate place to go in Italy from at least five people.


I'm thinking we'll need a long vacation to explore the entire country :) Have you been there? Did I miss any "must sees"? 

18 comments:

  1. I'm 100% pure, out of the can, Italian! No imitations with me! LOL I was hoping you'd hit Italy with your 'I'! I've loved it when I was there and I'd go back in an instant. Again, beautiful pics, Hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rome is high on my list of places to visit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very high on my list to visit. Also, ahem... Io sono il grande formaggio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Italy is by far up there for places that I would like to visit. I mean, how could you not? Those pictures are so inspiring and beautiful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Italy is one of those places with so many things to see, I don't know how you'd fit them all in on one trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a family home in Lorenzago, Italy that I've never been to, but would like to see some day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been, but REALLY want to go. My friend got married there and she said it's just AMAZING. Sigh, all your post make me want a vacation, BAD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Italy is in my top 5 places to visit. So much darn history to explore!!!

    Funny how it looks like a high-heeled boot kicking a turd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been but I really would love to go there some day if only to take a forced perspective photo at the leaning tower of Pisa...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Italy. I want to go just for the food :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Jen, I'd go for the food. :) And the beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hubby speaks Italian fluently and lived there for a couple years... and NO, I haven't been there! Grrrrr... Yes, Cinque Terre (5 Earths) is the spot I've heard too... *sighs* Italy will be our next big trip. I'm making sure of it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bellagio on Lake Como. Isola Bella in the middle of Lago Maggiore. Magnificent! I wanted to stay forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Rome when I was there a few years ago, though it was a bit of a rush trip (a long weekend when we were in France). We managed to cram as much as humanly possible into three days though. I know it's already on your list, but the Vatican was breath-taking, even for a non-Catholic like me. And the temple in the Jewish ghetto was equally, though differently, gorgeous. Also, you should eat gelato. A lot of gelato.

    ReplyDelete
  15. (Jumps up and down, squealing like a little non-Italian gurl...)

    What about Ireland... Ireland starts with an "I" and our flag looks like their flag and, and... and... OK, Italy is good.

    (Excuse the outburst... I am biased to the land of the darn leprechauns :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! So much history there. I'd love to visit there one day too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've got a friend who IS full Italian, and has blue eyes ;) It can happen!

    I visited Italy back in 1998, and had a fab time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You got some great pictures here. One of my favorite places in Italy was the Trevi Fountain. I also loved getting fresh panini from the street vendors.

    ReplyDelete